Monday, May 02, 2005

Taking on a New Role


It runs in the family Posted by Hello

I am deeply grateful to be chosen as the GodPa for my niece on her Confirmation day. Ironically, her Grandfather is my God Father! A family kept secret of more than 25 years revealed only to him a few months ago when I fussed at my own parents for sneaking his name as my official God Parent during my cradle Baptism without telling him all these years while when they had the opportunity to.

I hardly spoke to my God Father before. I merely looked at him from a distance when I was a boy, afraid to tell him Im his GodSon for fear of running into family politics I never knew at that time. It was only last Saturday when I shook his hands and called him "GodPa" for the 1st time. At that moment, I felt closer to family ties that I was seldom close to previously. Although GodPa is my Uncle, the relationship of "GodFather and GodSon" takes our relative relationship on a whole new level. If there is anything to go by, this Godly bond has drawn us together in a unique way.

The role of the GodParent in the Catholic Church is to support the GodChild's parents in his/her own faith development. Its more than just filling up a name for namesake. Its an awesome life-long responsibility that runs within God's family.

1 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Blogger steff said...

hello Godpa =P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home