Sunday, February 11, 2007

COME, FOLLOW ME



As he walked by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon who is called Peter and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea,; for they were fishermen. And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men".

Immediately they left their nets and followed him. (Matt 4:18-19).


Personal reflection:

Simon and Andrew had an experience of the Messiah when Jesus walked by. I usually would have missed the significance of these two simple words in the passage if it was not highlighted by Msgr Vaz during my weekly Bible studies yesterday evening.

Closing my eyes for a brief moment and imagined the event unfold before my eyes was a beautiful experience. I imagined our Lord strolling by the beach and towards Simon and Andrew. Jesus was set on approaching them from the very beginning. And when he did walk by, Simon and Andrew immediately had the God experience of the Messiah and left their nets and followed him.

I then saw an image of Jesus walking towards me and passing me by. How often has my Lord passed me by without my knowledge and awareness! I reflect and ask myself, "what was the God experience I had the last time I was aware that Jesus walked by?" and "has that God experience changed me? Have I left my cares and concerns behind and followed him?"

I regret those moments where I have not recognized Jesus walking by my life. I pray for grace and humility to look beyond life's busy-ness and see that my Lord is approaching. And when he does walk by, I pray for strength to embrace the God experience unconditionally and follow him. For my Lord has a life mission for me and those whom he passes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home